Sunday, March 29, 2009

Why people??? Why do you drink???


He was poor and covered with grime 
A passing young lady offered him a dime 
I watched as he traded it for a glass divine 
And I asked him, 
Why man? Why didn’t you dine? 
Why did you prefer the wine? 
  
He was young at seventeen 
Waiting just to be seen 
A passing friend offered to buy him a drink 
And in the bar, he was in a wink. 
And I asked him, 
Why boy? Why do you drink? 
Why do you wish your dreams to sink? 
  
She was thirty and single 
Caught her at the party, trying hard to mingle. 
The next I saw her was at the bar, 
Downing her gin with a lime so sour. 
And I asked her, 
Why woman?? Why do you drink? 
Why should you choose to look anything but pink? 
  
He could have anything money could buy 
A life for which others would willingly die 
Yet he sank on the couch with a drink and a sigh! 
And I asked him, 
Why mister?? Why do you drink? 
Why do you wish to take yourself to the edge of the brink? 
  
I caught her at the railway picking up rags 
The story of her life made her shoulders sag 
The weary feet, she was forced to drag 
And I asked her, 
Why lady? Why do you drink?? 
Why do you let yourself further sink???? 
  
She got out of her limousine decked up in fur. 
The paparazzi took pictures all in a blur 
But the moment it was time for her to lose the award 
She opened her purse and drank her reward. 
And I asked her, 
Why beauty? Why do you drink?? 
Despite being covered in mink?? 
  
I watched him come out of the church dressed in white 
To me, he was the clergy always in the right! 
As he slipped in to the dark on the day that was Sabbath 
He reached out for the bottle tucked in his habit 
And I asked myself 
Why did he of all people have to drink? 



10 comments:

akaash said...

true. though i wonder whether poets across the globe would have thought and written about drinking had it not been injurious to health! you see, drinking and dreaming is often synonymous. even oscar-winning limousine-ladies have buried sadness in their hearts that can only be freed temporarily through wild day-dreaming. I support you fully though. btw, you know to be quite rhythmic.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Only the willingness to debate and respect each other’s views keeps the spirit of democracy and freedom alive. Keep up the good work. Hey, by the way, do you mind taking a look at this new website www.indianewsupdates.com . It has various interesting sections. You can also participate in the OPINION POLL in this website.

Kindly note: The comments section is having problems so you may not be able to comment right now but it will available in a few days. We are also planning to get Live Cricket in our website within this week.

Dear friend, if you have any suggestions or information or news which you think has been ignored by the mainstream media, kindly let us know. We will try to implement that in our website.

Kindly go through the entire website. Who knows, it might just have the right kind of stuff that you are looking for. If you like this website, can you please recommend it to at least 5 of your friends. Your little help would help us in a big way.

Thank you,

The Future Mantra

Reanaclaire said...

i cannot answer that..why people drink to destroy themselves.. but those who drink are normally leading sad lives.. thought they might look happy outwardly, inswardly, they might be depressed and down hearted.. my 2 cents of thoughts..

sharada said...

i hopped from ur cooking blog to ur poetry blog...u surely are born gifted.
The poem on drinking was interesting to read.

Wildside said...

Hi Luckysanjaya, I've dropped by a few times before, but not commented and feel I owe you one! Thanks for visiting my little blog and leaving your comments.

I enjoyed reading this poem of yours because I've often wondered about these things too. But, Hmm... Must say a glass or two of red wine makes me very happy, not depressed! But other stuff does not have such good effect.

However, I used to look very young for my age up until middle age (still am told I do!) but since began drinking both coffee and wine regularly as part of daily life, I feel good and they say it is heart-healthy to do, but am gaining weight, nor as motivated and realize I am aging quite more rapidly as the years progress. So I wonder is this due to drinking something besides water -- or is this speed up of aging what happens in naturally as everyone grows older?

Your poem makes me stop to think!

its_me said...

very thoughtful and the pace of the poem was perfect :)

its_me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sudarshan bengani said...

must say nice poem.I am truly amused that why people spend money on a thing like sine which not only kills them but perish their family love

Rhapsody Phoenix said...

Namaste.....

Choice and self-dellusion that manifest in justification taken to drink...

nicely done, also made me smile because it reminded me of a calypso call whine gurl whine.

Diane Dehler said...

Hi LuckyS,
You visited my blog weeks ago when I was away. Thanks for stopping. As for drinking; I only drink tea. And hopefully a lovely oolong gold from Taiwain.
Cheers